Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cocoon

Sometimes I just want to
stay in my chair.
Not even dare
to disturb the mold my body has made-
or to uncover myself
and face the day
with another superficial smile.

Sometimes I just want to root here.
Bury my toes so deep in the cushions
that nothing can extract me
or subdue me.
To hide in the softness of warm pillows
and familiar smells
and close my eyes to what is real.

Sometimes I just want to stay in my chair.
Listen to the music in my brain
that makes me remember days of delight
and years of youth.
Grasp fragments of lost dreams
and hold them captive
in the pocket of my jeans.

Sometimes I just want to stay in my chair.
Stare.
Breathe carefully.
Think wisely.
Grow.

But I don't.

I fold my blanket aside
and slide my feet to the floor,
straighten the pillows
and fluff the cushions-
and walk into the day
without a suit of armor.