Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Of Times Gone By

This morning I tore off another page
of my daily calendar.
It is frightening, yet somehow
comforting- to know
that the year is over.

Frightening because it passed so quickly.
That my once thick calendar
is now a skeleton.
That I failed to be the person
I saw in my dreams-
that I neglected to live
(or create)
my imaginations.

And I wonder to myself-
just what did I do this year
that my family will remember?
Did I touch their hearts?
Enrich their lives with laughter?
What did I do this year
that held tight in their memory?

On the other hand, it is
comforting to know
that we all have second chances.
That a new year lies thick and fat
before us
with no scars or regrets
or any pathways.
We must make our own.
We must recreate ourselves.

I am looking forward
to a forest of opportunity
where my foot will trod on new ground.
Where my imagination
will blaze trails.

Where my heart will know
to love deeper...

May your new year not only be happy-
but full.
Of promise and of friends,
of compassion and of wisdom,
of strength and of passion...
of love everlasting.

The following quote is one I found
and jotted into a journal years ago.

"Time has no divisions to mark its passage, there is never a thunder-storm or blare of trumpets to announce the beginning of a new month or year. Even when a new century begins it is only we mortals who ring bells and fire off pistols." ~Thomas Mann

The Beginning is where you make it.
The End
is no one's guess.