Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Best Day of My Life


It was 1975. The summer was hot.
The days were slow, but the nights were not.

I would sit around in cut-off jeans-
writing poems and dreaming dreams.
And out of the air
Of the summer sun's glare
Our eyes met
And I soon was aware
That nothing would ever be the same again
Because I met and fell in love with him.

It was 1975. I just turned nineteen.
Not a child. Not a woman. Somewhere between.
But his smile spoke of gentleness
that I couldn't deny
The first time I met him
and he caught my eye.

And the summer became
what I can never explain-
Like the sweetness of honey
or the touch of the rain.
And I knew nothing would ever be the same again
Because I met and fell in love with him.

It was 1975. The summer soon fled.
The leaves were falling in blankets of red.
And so intense was my love and undying care-
That it was my life - not just summer-
that I wanted to share.

And out of that time so simple and kind
I became his
And he became mine.

And nothing will ever be the same again
Because I still
am so in love with him!

*************************************

I journeyed far that summer
Though I was just eighteen
and barely knew the way
across town and back.
I drifted through hot, heavy days
with no roots-
but with wings!
Young and soaring
past what once
were obstacles.

I tasted cold beer,
warm wine
and even smoked a cigarette
that made me sick.
I grew up.
And my heart played
like a child
venturing beyond
the edge of the sidewalk.

But of all the places
I journeyed that summer,
Your eyes were the best-
and your heart opened up
like a huge velvet door
and pulled me in.

I have never wanted out.

I love you beyond imagining...
Happy Anniversary.