Friday, January 9, 2009

Nip Tuck ?

I know there is a little voice
inside all of us aging women
that secretly yearns
for a face lift.

We stand before the mirror-
frown, smile, pull our hair back,
fluff it forward, squint, go wide-eyed,
pull our chins tighter and our
cheekbones higher, cover our
crows feet, pout,
and sometimes simply cry.

Even my own thoughts on the
subject are varied.
There are days that I would jump
into a surgical gown in a second;
other days when I am
utterly practical
and a bit fearful.

Would you re-do your face
if time and money were no object?
Would you consider reshaping
the natural features
that God gave you-
for those of a magazine model?

I have come to realize that
I would probably never
do it for myself.
I've gotten used to
that woman in the mirror.
I know I can't hold back time
and the inevitable.

If I ever considered it, it would be for
the people that have to look at me.
For my husband.
Maybe he'd let me stop wearing
that paper sack.
(Just kidding)!

I color my hair.
Most of us do any more.
Don't you ever wonder
what your natural color is?
Don't you ever try to imagine
if it would be battleship gray
or a sophisticated silver?

What if we just let time
run its course?
Do its magic.
Or damage.
Or both.

Ninety-two percent of all
face lift patients in 2004 were women-
totaling 157,061.
Fifty-seven percent of face lifts
were performed on women
between the ages of 51 and 64.

And they aren't cheap.
But less than a new car!

COST OF FACE LIFTS*
Cost Range:
$7,000-$13,000

Average Total Cost: $9,500
Surgeons fee: $6,000
Anesthesiologist: $1,200
Facility fee: $1,700
Hospital fee: $600


RELATED FEES**

Facelift $6,298
Eyelid surgery $2,813
Forehead lift $3,148
Laser skin resurfacing $2,484
Cheek implant $2,720
Lip augmentation (surgical) $1,819
Botox® injection (per injection) $382
Microdermabrasion $149


Other interesting facts you might consider:

List of possible complications:
Abnormal facial contour
Anesthesia reaction
Attached earlobe
Bleeding
Blistering of skin (may lead to permanent scarring)
Depression
Discoloration
Ear nerve damage (risk is less than 1%)
Early Relapse (risk is less than 1%)
Facial weakness or paralysis
Hematoma (risk is 3-4%)
Infection (risk is less than 1%)
Injury to facial nerves (temporary or permanent)
Keloid (heavy scar)
Loss of sideburns
Nerve Damage
Open ear canal
Permanent numbness (risk is less than 1%)
Reactions to medications
Skin irregularities
Skin necrosis or skin death (1500% more likely with smokers)
Slow healing
Swelling
Tight face
Visible scar
Weak facial muscles (usually temporary)


All in all, I think I will just learn
to live with the way I look.
Messing with the natural flow if life
is just too unpredictable.

It's just very embarrassing
when I'm at the grocery store
and have to ask for extra paper sacks!